Single Layer Chocolate Cake with Fresh Berries – easy homemade chocolate cake recipe topped with fresh berries that are in season.
Hello there! This year I decided to make my own birthday cake. Normally I am all about bakery cakes with buttercream icing but I thought I would change things up this year. It it so much cheaper to make your own cake and this Single Layer Chocolate Cake with Fresh Berries is super easy to make. If fact, you probably already have all the ingredients you need at home. This cake tastes like a brownie and is light with the berries. Definitely a cake recipe to try for sure.
The one layer fudge cake recipe is super easy to make. I even make it ahead of time, usually the night before to help save on time. It’s made with classic chocolate cake ingredients like all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powdered, baking soda, salt, butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and hot water. It is made by mixing the dry ingredients together, the wet ingredients together, then combining the two mixtures. The cake is baked in a round 8 inch cake pan for about 30 to 40 minutes. The chocolate cake almost tastes like fudge brownies. I like to dust the top of the cake with cocoa powder and powered sugar for just a hint of extra sweetness.
Once the cake is completely cooled, I top it with fresh in season berries. I am using blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and cherries. You can use you favorite berries to top your chocolate cake. I love the freshness the berries give to the cake. They also add a nice sweet and tart flavor. This cake is perfect for summertime and if you are looking for a lighter cake recipe. It’s so yummy!
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces(1/2 cup) butter, melted and warm
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan or line it with parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Sift the cocoa powder into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs and vanilla; stir until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture all at once and stir just until all the flour is moistened. Pour the hot water over the batter; stir just until it’s incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake about 35 to 40 minutes or till toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool on rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of cake and remove from pan to finish cooling on the rack, removing parchment if used.
- Top with fresh berries
Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoy my recipe for Single Layer Chocolate Cake with Fresh Berries. If you have any recipe requests, please leave a comment below and I would be happy to recreate a recipe.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: