I Heart Summer Koozie – create a fun patriotic koozie using heat transfer vinyl. This typography and heart image are too cute!
Today I am teaming up with some of my favorite craft bloggers to share 10 DIY Summer Projects + Cricut Explore and Everything Starter Kit Bundle!
Hello there! I am excited to share my I Heart Summer Koozie along with some of my favorite bloggers to bring you lots of awesome summer ideas using your Cricut Explore. Don’t have a Cricut Explore, no worries! We are giving one away. Make sure to check out how to make my Koozie and the other summer projects first. Then at the end you can enter to win. This is an amazing giveaway from Cricut!
Supplies: (affiliate links)
- Cricut Explore Air + EVERYTHING Starter Bundle
- Heart Cut File
- White Koozie
- Red, White, Royal Blue, and Powder Blue EasyWeed Heat Transfer Vinyl
Start by opening the Cricut Design Space. I created the design using the free Jenna Sue font and uploading a patriotic heart image from the Cricut store. The dimensions of the koozie are 4 inches by 4 inches. I made the design slightly smaller to fit on the koozie.
Cut one piece of royal blue, powder blue, and white vinyl. Cut two pieces of red vinyl, one for the text and the second for the heart, 4 inches wide by 4 inches tall. Place the cut pieces of vinyl on the cutting mat shiny side down. Use the scraper to smooth the vinyl. By placing all the vinyl on the mat at once you don’t have to keep putting them on the mat after each cut.
Make sure the dial is set to “Iron-on” before cutting.
When reviewing the cut settings in Design Space, select “mirror image” for all the components. This option is used for iron on vinyl. Move each piece to its corresponding place on the screen so that each one is cut out of the right color. Send to machine and cut all the pieces using the on screen instructions.
Remove the extra vinyl from the transfer paper after cutting. I find that using the weeding tool is very helpful for pulling the vinyl off of the paper. Then use the weeding tool to remove the negative space in the font.
Heat the koozie with an iron.
- Place the text transfer right side up. Place a towel over the vinyl and hold the iron over it for about 20 seconds, making sure to apply pressure over the entire design. Remove the transfer sheet. Repeat this process for the next steps.
- Place the powder blue scalloped heart vinyl transfer right side up. Be careful to line up the image with the text. Iron with the same process as listed in step 1.
- Place the red solid heart vinyl transfer down being careful to align with the previous layer and iron.
- Place the white stripes vinyl transfer down and iron.
- Place the royal blue vinyl transfer down and iron.
- Place the white stars vinyl transfer down and iron.
The steps of layering multiple vinyl transfers may seen difficult but it is quite easy and the process goes by quickly.
I hope you enjoyed my I Heart Summer Koozie. Love this project but don’t have a Cricut? Well today is your lucky day! I’ve joined a talented group of bloggers and we are giving away Cricut Explore and Everything Starter Kit Bundle! Enter through the Rafflecopter below and for more chances to win check out these other summer projects!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Cricut. All ideas and opinions are 100% my own.
Citrus Fruit Coasters from Tastefully Frugal
Red, White & Blue Heart Koozie from The Casual Craftlete
Soft Kitty Dalek T-Shirt from Housewife Eclectic
Welcome Summer Party from The Quiet Grove
Personalized Kids Coasters from Crafting In The Rain
Trendy Phone Cover from Frenchie
Easy Like Summer Morning T-Shirt from 7 Alive
DIY Planner Dividers from Auntie Tay
Summertime Sign from Crafting In The Rain