Dark Cherry Pie Filling – easy and delicious homemade pie filling with dark cherries and a few simple ingredients. Everything tastes better from scratch, especially pie!
Hello there! Summertime is a great excuse for baking fruit pies. I love baking homemade pies during fresh fruit seasons. My husband’s favorite pie is cherry. Typically, I use canned cherries, but I wanted to make my own filling from scratch to see if there is a difference. And let me tell you there is! This homemade Dark Cherry Pie Filling was amazing in the pie that I made over the weekend. It was so easy to make too. I will never go back to canned cherries again.
I love the favor from dark cherries. They are both sweet and tart, making them a perfect pie filling. I am using pitted dark cherries that I have frozen myself. I just pull them out of the freezer and thaw whenever I am baking pie with the cherries. You can buy pre-packaged frozen cherries and they will work just the same. Just make sure you thaw them out before using. This dark cherry pie filling in made in one pot and cooked over the stove for about 10 to 15 minutes. This recipe is super easy and you can make it ahead of time, which is great on saving some time later on.
I do have a recipe for a yummy cherry pie, which you can find here. That recipes calls for canned cherries but you can just substitute for this dark cherry pie filling recipe instead. That is what I did and it tastes great!
This pie filling recipe is for 1 pie. Just double the recipe for 2 pies.
- 3 cups pitted dark cherries and juice, thawed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoon cornstarch
- a pinch of salt
- juice from half a lemon
- Reserve about 1/4 cup cherry juice and whisk with cornstarch, set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, over medium-high heat, mix sugar, salt, cherries, and lemon juice. Cook until the mixture is bubbling, stir constantly (about 5 minutes).
- Add the reserved cherry juice and cornstarch mixture and stir until mixture thickens (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Cool and use in your favorite pie crust.
- This Dark Cherry Pie Filling makes enough for 1 pie.
The best part about making this dark cherry pie filling, is eating it, of course! I hope you enjoy this recipe and make sure to check out my other delicious pie recipes below.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: