Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe – made with traditional meatloaf ingredients and smothered with a delicious glaze, this is seriously the best meatloaf recipe I have ever tried!
Hello there! One of my favorite comfort foods growing up as a kid was meatloaf with mashed potatoes, corn, and green beans. My love for meatloaf has carried on into adulthood and today I am sharing the Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe. This meatloaf is so tender and juicy, not dry like some. It’s made with two different kinds of meat and fresh vegetables, It’s easy to put together and makes for a wonderful meal every time.
I am definitely a meat and potatoes kind of girl. Always have been and probably always will be. So, it’s no surprise that meatloaf is one of my favorite dinners ever. Plus, it’s generally coated with ketchup which is my favorite condiment. For this best classic meatloaf recipe, I am kicking up the ingredients a few notches. The flavors of this meatloaf are seriously the best ever. I make my meatloaf with crushed crackers instead of oatmeal. In fact, I don’t ever think I have had a meatloaf recipe that uses oats. If you have a favorite, I would love to hear about it.
There is just a little prep before cooking the meatloaf in the oven, but it is so worth it. I saute an onion and a few garlic cloves in a skillet just to soften them. Then, you mix all the ingredients together and form a loaf using your hands. No special loaf pan is required for this recipe. Next, I make a yummy glaze to slather on top of the meatloaf. This might be the best part of all. YUM! The glaze is a mixture of ketchup and BBQ sauce. I like Sweet Baby Rays original sauce because it is sweet. You can use your favorite BBQ sauce.
This best classic meatloaf recipe is satisfying and comforting!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 24)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the meatloaf: Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and saute the onions until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add minced garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until soft but not brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, mustard, Worcestershire, and eggs, then season with salt and pepper. Add beef and pork along with crushed crackers, parsley and cooked onion and garlic. Use your hands to mix until ingredients until evenly combined. Place the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and form a loaf shape.
- For the glaze: In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the glaze over the meatloaf, then bake, basting once halfway through, about 1 hour. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you enjoy my Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: