Hello there! Today I have teamed up with some amazing bloggers to bring you TONS (close to 100) of Red, White and Blue Ideas. You can find craft projects, recipes, decor and more all in one place.
I am sharing a super easy recipe for a Rustic Strawberry Blueberry Pie! Make sure you check out my pie recipe, then scroll down to see close to 100 Red, White and Blue food, decor and craft ideas.
Hey y’all! Today I am sharing my recipe for a Rustic Strawberry Blueberry Pie. I just love this kind of pie because its super easy to make. It’s berry season here in Southern Illinois and nothing is better than a fresh hot pie made with locally grown berries. I mean, just look at that amazing pie. It is sweet, tart and so delicious!
So, these strawberries are really that red. They came from my cousin’s strawberry farm. They are so big and sweet. I bought the blueberries at a local berry farm last summer and froze some of them in gallon plastic bags. I try to use fresh local berries when I can because they taste so much better than store bought. Last year I made a lemon blueberry chia jam that is amazing!
I call this a rustic strawberry blueberry pie because it has a single crust that is rolled out on a parchment lined baking sheet and folded organically over the berries. You can buy a pre-made frozen puff pastry shell for this recipe, if you like. I think it is just as easy to make your own pie crust. For my homemade buttery flaky pie crust click here. The filling is made with a simple mixture of strawberries, blueberries, sugar and cornstarch. I like to brush my pie crust with heavy cream and sprinkle with raw sugar. The raw sugar gives a nice crunch to each bite.
- 1 single pie crust, store bought or homemade
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- raw sugar for sprinkling on the crust
- all purpose flour for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Lightly flour the parchment paper, then roll out pie crush to loosely form a circle shape. I rolled mined into a 12 inch circle. Set aside.
- Cut up the strawberries. Place the cut strawberries and whole blueberries into a bowl, and mix it with the sugar and cornstarch and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Gently pile the fruit mixture onto the center of the pastry. Fold the edges of the pastry over to cover the outer edge of the fruit pile. Overlap as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg and 1 tbsp of water. Then, using this mixture, brush the pastry. Sprinkle raw sugar on to the pastry for a nice crunch.
- Place the pie into the oven, then immediately TURN DOWN the heat to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Let your pie sit for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve slightly warm with ice cream or whipping cream!
Looking for more Red, White and Blue inspiration! Check out these amazing projects…
Make sure to check out the Pinterest Red, White and Blue board for even more ideas!