Good morning! Hope you all had a lovely weekend. Today I am sharing a recipe for Grapefruit Dutch Baby. If you have never heard of a dutch baby before, they are also referred to as German pancakes. And if you have never tasted one, you are missing out. This light and airy pancake is baked in the oven rather than cooked on the stove top. I wanted to add some spring citrus to the mix and came up with this recipe. I just love grapefruits. They are definitely my favorite citrus fruit. This dutch baby is amazing! You have got to try this recipe.
Spring is in the air and there’s nothing better than cooking breakfast on the weekends for my family. My husband has been working on Saturdays so Sunday mornings are special to us. We go to church in the evening so we can sleep in. I don’t know about you, but I hate spending all morning cooking. So, any meal under 30 minutes is a recipe to keep. This grapefruit dutch baby can be made in just under the 30 minute mark. Perfect for me and my busy family. This eggy pancake is super light and not dense on the stomach at all. You can go the rest of your day feeling good and refreshed.
This dutch baby recipe is made with just a few ingredients that you probably already have at home. The grapefruit gives the dutch baby a nice and refreshing citrus note, but does not overpower the fluffy pancake. Add a dusting of powdered sugar for sweetness and you are all set!
- For the caramelized grapefruit
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons grated grapefruit zest
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons of powered sugar for dusting
- In an 8 inch skillet, (cast iron) melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium heat on the stove top. Toss grapefruit slices in 1 Tablespoon of light brow sugar. Add the slices to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until tender and caramelized. Turn heat off and remove grapfruit from the pan. Place on a plate and set aside. Leave the juice from the grapefruit in the skillet.
- Place 2 Tablespoons of butter into the 8 inch skillet and place in the oven to heat up
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar and salt. Whisk in the eggs, followed by the milk, making sure there are no lumps
- When the butter has melted, carefully remove the pan from the oven, pour in the batter, and place back in the oven. Bake 18-20 minutes or until pancake is puffed up and golden brown
- Place caramelized grapefruit slices on top of the dutch baby and sprinkle with powered sugar
- Served immediately
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: