Have I got an easy and delicious recipe to share with you all today. This Blackberry Thyme Rustic Pie is to die for! I just love mixing fruit with herbs. They enhance each other’s flavors and make for a winning combination. For this recipe I choose to marry blackberries with thyme and the flavor is amazing.
First you start by making a basic pie crust.
No special equipment is needed to make this pie crust. It’s just a basic butter crust that my grandma used to make. Instead of using a food processor or pastry cutter, I used two forks to cut the butter into the flour. You do want to make sure your wet ingredients are very cold. I placed the stick of butter into the freezer for about 15 minutes just to make sure it was nice and cold. I also placed a couple of ice cubes into a cup of cold water. This will help get the desired buttery flaky crust you want.
For the pie filling I used 2 cups of fresh blackberries. Then I squeezed in the juice from half a lemon along with the zest. Stir in 2 tablespoon of corn starch and 3-4 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Add the leaves from 5 sprigs of fresh thyme and mix it all together in a medium size bowl.
Once the dough has chilled, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a 1/8 inch piece or about 12 inches around. Move the dough onto a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Add the pie filling into the center of the pie leaving a 4 inch border. Fold the border of the dough over the edge of the filling. Brush the dough with an egg wash. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and firm. Allow to cool before serving. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
- 1 1/4 cup all- purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick chilled and diced)
- 5 to 6 Tbsp ice water
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- Juice and zest from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3-4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 sprigs of thyme leaves
- Start by making your pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Next, add the diced butter cubes and cut into the flour using two forks (this may take 5 mins). The butter should be pea size.
- Add the ice water one Tbsp at a time until your dough forms a ball.
- Flatten dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has chilled, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a 1/8 inch piece and about 12 inches round. Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Combine blackberries, corn starch, sugar, thyme leaves, lemon zest and juice into a medium size bowl and mix together.
- Place the filling into the center of the rolled out pie crust leaving a 4 inch boarder. Fold the border of the dough over the edge of the filling. Brush the dough with an egg wash. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and firm. Allow to cool before serving. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Thanks again for letting me share my recipe with you!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: