Classic Homemade Strawberry Pie is made with an easy buttery flaky crust recipe and sweet strawberry filling. It’s the best strawberry pie recipe.
Hey y’all! Today I am sharing a recipe for Classic Homemade Strawberry Pie! Don’t let the homemade part scare you. This recipe for the pie crust and filling is very easy. Plus, made from scratch tastes better than the pre made pie crust any day.
Not only is this pie gorgeous, it’s really really good. The pie crust is buttery and flaky while the strawberry filling is sweet and juicy. I pre-baked the pie crust then added the filling and placed it in the refrigerator over night to set up. This would be a great pie to make ahead of time and take to a summer picnic or BBQ.
No special equipment is needed to make this pie crust. Instead of using a food processor or pastry cutter, I used two forks to cut the butter into the flour. You do want to make sure your wet ingredients are very cold. I placed the stick of butter into the freezer for about 15 minutes just to make sure it was nice and cold. I also placed a couple of ice cubes into a cup of cold water. This will help get the desired buttery flaky crust you want.
- Pie Crust:
- 1¼ cup all- purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick chilled and diced)
- 5 to 6 Tbsp ice water
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Strawberry Filling:
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 3 oz box of strawberry gelatin (jello mix)
- 1 quart strawberries
- Start by making your pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Next, add the diced butter cubes and cut into the flour using two forks (this may take 5 mins). The butter should be pea size.
- Add the ice water one Tbsp at a time until your dough forms a ball.
- Flatten dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has chilled, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a ⅛ inch piece. Make sure you roll the dough out 1 inch edge past the edge of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Carefully transfer the dough into a 9 inch pie plate and press up against the sides. Remove excess overhang and create a crimped edge with your fingers or fork.
- Pierce the dough with a fork. This will prevent the dough from rising.
- Cover the dough and pie plate with two pieces of foil, pressing against the sides. Then add some dry beans or rice to weigh it down. Refrigerate dough for 20 mins.
- Bake pie crust at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 mins. Take the crust out of the oven and remove beans and foil. Brush the dough with an egg wash (1 egg with 1 Tbsp milk) and place back in the oven for 3 to 5 mins or until golden brown. Set aside and let crust cool.
- For the strawberry filling:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, cornstarch and water mixture until thick, stirring as it cooks (this takes 5 to 10 mins)
- Remove from heat and add strawberry gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Let the mixture cool until lukewarm than add 1 quart of strawberries (I cut my in half),
- Pour the strawberry filling into the cooled pie crust and chill in the refrigerator before serving,
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: