Easy DIY Kids Chalkboard Tray

Easy DIY Kids Chalkboard Tray

Who loves a good repurposed project?  I am so happy to share this Easy DIY Kids Chalkboard Tray with you today.  This wood crate turned into a chalkboard tray is a fun interactive tool for children.  School will be out soon and the kids will be bored this summer.  This chalkboard tray will keep the little ones learning while the older kiddos can draw works of art.

My husband and I got my daughter this darling wooden play food set for Christmas.  The food came in a small wooden tray.  My daughter has a play kitchen where she stores the food, so the tray really had no function.  Well, I was digging through the toy box and came across the crate.  I noticed my daughter took some crayons and colored on the inside of the tray.  This give me the brilliant idea to paint the inside of the crate with chalkboard paint.

Repurposed Old Wooden Crate

Material Used:

• Wood tray
  • Chalkboard paint
  • Foam brush

All I did was paint the inside of the tray using DecoArt Americana chalkboard paint and a foam brush.  Both supplies I already had on hand.  I’m calling this a FREE craft,  And that’s it.  It really was that easy!  The wood did soak up the paint, so I applied four coats until I could no longer see the wood.  Not too bad and I still have over half of the container of paint left.

Easy DIY Kids Chalkboard Tray

My daughter LOVES her new chalkboard tray.  She can write on it and also stash some supplies in it too.  This projected turned out a lot easier and better than what I thought.  I think it is pretty adorable.

Repurposed Wood Tray into a Chalkboard

You might also like this Washi Tape Purse for Kids

Washi Tape Purse for Kids

Comments

1. says

What a great idea! This would be ideal for at home and travel, since it will hold all the little chalk pieces. Thanks for a fun and frugal idea! I love chalk paint!

2. says

My daughter has been itching for a chalkboard and she would absolutely LOVE this idea. I’m pretty sure I have a tray like that on hand too, which makes the idea even better ;)

3. says

Clever use of a cast off! You know how much I love to use what I have to create special things! Great job! Thanks for linking up to my Creative Ways Link Party! Hope to see you again this week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

4. says

I love this idea, I believe those are Melissa & Doug toy containers. I just used a bunch of them as a shell wall display. They are great little boxes. This is a fun way to use them to. I am coming from the weekend retreat link party and had to jump over and see this

5. says

I just came across your blog from the Inspiration Gallery Link Party and I must say that your blog is now one of my favorites! I am a new follower. You have so many great ideas and after checking out your running page I headed over to Runner’s World’s 2014 Memorial Day to Fourth of July running streak challenge. Love this idea! Thanks for posting. :)

• says

Thank you SO much for stopping by, Marie! I love new followers!!! I am so glad you checked out my Runner’s World post. It was a lot of fun last year plus it kept me accountable to running. I still keep in contact with about 5 people on Instagram. I really hope you enjoy it too. Hugs

6. says

I would never have thought to do this on a tray. So clever! I love anything that gets kids printing, drawing and writing…it gives me an excuse to do the same. :) Visiting you via SITS Pinterest Linkup

7. says

I loved your Tip Me Tuesday link . {thanks girl!} Would you like Tip Junkie to feature your blog post to over 200,000 creative women? If you upload this blog post into your Tip Junkie craft room using at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL then I can easily feature it in my RSS feed, home page, and all my social networks instantly. {squealing with delight} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}