Retro Stamped Tea Towel

Retro Stamped Tea Towel  The Casual Craftlete

Hello friends!  Mother’s Day is just around the corner and this Retro Stamped Tea Towel is the perfect easy DIY gift.  As a mom of a toddler I use a lot of towels in my house.  There are always spills and messes to clean up.  Not to mention dinners to fix and desserts to make for church.  My kitchen is definitely the most used room in the house.  So, why not fill the room with pretties.  This towel makes me smile every time I look at it.

Retro Stamped Tea Towel www.thecasualcraftlete.com

I wanted to make a simple pattern using two different stamps but also use some retro inspired colors to make it pop.  I just love the red and blue colors from the 1950’s and 60’s.  There is just something fun and carefree about the era.

Material used to make a Retro Stamped Tea Towel

Materials:

Before starting make sure to wash, dry and iron your sackcloth

First I started by laying some wax paper down on a flat surface.  *This just helps the paint from bleeding onto your work surface.  Then I layed down my sackcloth and taped off where I wanted to place the stamps.

How to mix paint with fabric medium

Next, I mixed satin acrylic paint with fabric medium together using a Q-tip.  Fabric Medium is water based and helps control the workability of acrylic paint onto fabric.  It also thins the paint and helps control bleeding of colors.  I used one part medium to two parts paint.  I really like the Martha Stewart paint in Tartan Red and Pool colors.

Stamped Sackcloth | The Casual Craftlete

I used a sponge from a ink blending tool to apply the paint to the stamps.  You want to make sure to use the smallest amount of paint possible to prevent smudges.  I used a vintage mixer and a fork, spoon and knife rubber stamps.

Retro Stamped Tea Towel  www.thecasualcraftlete.com

This tea towel will definitely brighten up the kitchen and put a smile on Mom’s face.

What do you think?  Is it retro?

*Just a side note:  The fabric strawberries pictured above were my Grandma’s and I’m pretty sure they are from the 1950’s!  :)

Comments

1. JaneEllen says

Looks like everybody loves your retro stamped towel. A set of those would be great gift and easy to make. Great idea, sure inspiring me as I love retro things in kitchen. Happy days

2. says

Such a great idea! I love the stamps and colors you used. Now I want to go through my box of stamps that I haven’t touch in a long time and tackle this project! (I am coming from the AtoZ linky party and have happy to have found your blog!)

• says

Thanks for stopping by, Jessi! I love using material I already have on hand and haven’t used in awhile. I am SO glad you found me too! Hope you have fun making some towels and have a great weekend!

3. says

Katie, this is such a darling product and I love that stamp and all things retro! Visiting from the Weekend re-Treat party and pinning! Have a happy Friday and a great weekend!

4. says

Your Tip Me Tuesday link is incredible this week! In fact, my readers would love to bookmark it in their craft rooms. Did you know that if you upload this blog post into your Tip Junkie craft room using at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL then Tip Junkie readers can favorite it which instantly bookmarks it so they can find it later? {Whoohoo!} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}

5. says

These are so sweet! I just wanted to let you know that I am linking to this post at Simply Creative Living on May 6th if you don’t mind.

6. says

I’ve always wondered how to use paint and fabric medium on regular ink stamps so they actually leave a clear impression: the ink blending tool sounds like the solution to the problem! These turned out beautifully, and oh so retro. Thanks for the tutorial! Off to pin.

• says

Thanks SO much, Lauren! I used the ink blending tool because I already had one. I’m sure a sponge would work just as well. Hope you have a lovely weekend and thanks for pinning my towel!

7. says

You have truly inspired me with this simple and creative stamped towel. This would be so fun to make for gifts! So happy you came over to share this gorgeous stamped project with us at the Show Stopper this week, pinned! PS… love the choice of colors you picked!

8. says

I love the stamps and the colors you used, it’s the perfect retro feel! I’m pinning, I definitely want to give a try at making something similar. :)

9. says

I had no idea you could get a KitchenAid style stamp! I need to start exploring my craft stores more often :) These towels are SO cute. I’d love to get this as a gift. Pinned!