Trendy Burlap Tote

Burlap Bag with iron on transfer

This Trendy Burlap Tote is super easy to make using a iron-on transfer.  It would make for a fabulous Teacher’s Appreciation gift!  Just fill the tote with summer essentials like, a magazine, hand lotion, lip gloss, beach towel and drinking tumbler with straw.  Then in the fall the teacher can use the tote to carry all her supplies for the school year.  It would also make a perfect tote for a pre-teen, teenager, college student, or nerd at heart.  Not to mention it would be the BEST SUMMER TOTE EVER!  Aren’t those glasses fun?!

Materials for burlap bag with iron on transfer

Materials:

Making an iron transfer for a bag

I downloaded a clipart image of a pair of glasses.  Then I copied the image and re-sized it in Microsoft Word.  The tote bag is 12″ x 12″ so I made the glasses 7 ” wide.  Next, I printed the glasses image onto a piece of iron-on transfer paper.  Load the paper into your printer on the non-glossy unlined side.  Select the “light fabric” option to mirror image prior to printing.  (This may vary depending on your specific printer.  The transfers have more detailed instructions.)  After printing the image, use a pair of scissors to cut out the glasses.  Make sure to cut where the lens would be.  Otherwise, you will end up with the space being white.

Applying iron on transfer to burlap

Preheat your iron to the highest setting.  Do not steam!  Place the printed image face down on the tote.  The lined side will be the ironing surface.  Iron the image very slowly.  Make sure to cover all areas and corners.  Wait for the transfer to cool for a few minutes and remove the backing paper.

That’s it!  How simple is that?!

Burlap Bag with iron on transfer

I added a really fun pink summer scarf around the handle for some color and as a added gift.

Burlap Bag with washi tape

You can also add some really colorful tribal washi tape to make this a total hipster bag!

Which way do you like the tote best?

Bonbon Break

Comments

1. Natasha In Oz says

Your tote looks great-you did a wonderful job! The pink scarf goes really well with it.

If you have a minute to spare please stop by and join my Say G’Day Saturday linky party-this post would be a fabulous addition!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

2. Mitzi says

Stopping by from Monday Funday at Uncommon Designs Online –Love the simplicity of the glasses graphic on the burlap– so cute– I’m giving this a try-can’t wait
    thanks for sharing!

3. Julie says

I love using iron on printable paper, I’ve used it for all sorts of things – why didn’t I think of this brilliant idea ?! This is so clever, modern and all round lovely. I’m wishing I’d made these for all my nieces for Easter now – maybe Christmas instead!

• The Casual Craftlete says

Thank you SO much for the lovely comment, Julie!! I wasn’t for sure if the iron on would work on the burlap but it did. I didn’t have any problems doing this craft. This bag can be made for any occasion…that’s why I love it so much. Hope you are having a great week!

4. Cathy says

Saw your post at the C.R.A.F.T party! I had to stop by since your photo really caught my eye!

This tote is just DARLING! I love it–pinning it as we speak in fact. My girl friend just had a bridal shower and this would have been a perfect DIY gift for all of her bridesmaids–she is having a retro chic wedding, and this would have been so cute for it!

Anyway, I’m so glad I found your blog–I’m following you now, and I look forward to your new posts! :)

Would love it if you stopped by our Facebook page and said “hi!”

~Cathy~
    OurMiniFamily.com

• The Casual Craftlete says

Oh yay! Thanks for stopping by, Cathy. I love new followers. Hope you had fun at the bridal shower. You could always make the totes for the “day of the wedding essentials”. Just an idea. Hope you are having a fabulous week!!!

5. Nici says

This is so cute! I love the glasses motif! Adorable! Hope you’ll be linking it up to our All Things Thursday Party tonight!
    Blessings,
    Nici

6. Ursula says

Love! I didn’t know Jolee’s had iron transfers! I’ve been trying to make time to make an iron transfer craft and now I’m super inspired ;)
    Visiting from Lamberts Lately linky ;)
    come visit me!
    Ursula @ http://kraftmint.com {modern & quick crafts }

7. Jodee Weiland says

Love this idea…so cute and easy enough for me to do! Thanks for sharing…this will make a great gift idea for friends getting ready to go on a trip…wishing them bon voyage!

8. Camila says

This project is awesome and how easy! I want to make some of these… I’m planing on making a few Tote bags and I’m definitely trying this.
    XOXO

9. Nicole says

Thanks so much for linking this up to last weeks Weekend Wind-Down party! I am featuring this crafty project this week. Come on over Friday night at 6pm to grab a button and link up new posts!

Thanks for giving us great content to feature! =)

10. Summer says

Oh so cute – I just love the black handles on the bag – and not too expensive either – thanks for the link of where you bought it!

1. […] Follow Katie on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter I can’t wait to try my hand at these, they sound delicious! Thank you for this lovely recipe Katie! For more food ideas and crafty inspiration, stop by Katie’s blog The Casual Craftlete. Here are just a few of the fabulous projects you’ll see while you’re there! Paper Embriodery Hoop Gift Card HolderPretty Paper Flower CenterpieceWhite Chocolate Party MixLoaded BrowniesTrendy Burlap Tote […]