Paper Embroidery Hoop Gift Card Holder

Paper Embroidery Hoop Gift Card Holder | The Casual Craftlete

I love the vintage look of Embroidery Hoops!  So much so that I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to the sweet little hoops.  Instead of using fabric with needle and thread, I wanted to put a modern spin on it by using paper and embellishments.  And, I’m loving the vintage modern combination of the scrapbook paper.

Scrapbook Paper Embroidery Hoop Gift Card Holder

I love this idea of turning an embroidery hoop into a gift card holder.  Not only is it a very neat and unique card holder, it is a piece of art for someone to display or hang on the wall.  There are lots of reasons to give gift cards this season.  There’s Easter, Mother’s Day, graduations and teacher appreciation day.  Or any crafty friend would love getting one for their birthday!

Materials to make a paper embroidery hoop gift card holder

Material Used:

Painted Embroidery Hoop First I started by painting the hoop.  I had left over paint from this diy project.  I used a small foam brush to apply just one coat of paint.  Make sure the paint is completely dry before moving on to the next step.

Painted Embroidery Hoop

On a piece of 6″x 6″ scrapbook paper I traced around the outside larger hoop making sure to leave plenty of paper for the hoop to fit in.  Then I cut small slits every 1/2″.  This will allow the paper to press nicely in the hoop without the paper crinkling.  I really love My Mind’s Eye Flair collection!  It is super hip and modern.

Using Paper in a Embroidery Hoop

To make the pocket for the gift card I took a second piece of scrapbook paper and cut it into a 3″ x 6″ piece.  Using the same method as before I traced and cut the paper.

Using brad for embellishing a gift card holder

Before putting the paper into the hoop, I added some decorative Brads to the front of the pocket.  Then I lined up the pocket onto the larger piece of paper and carefully closed the two hoops together and tighten the screw.  I added a large foam stickers and a arrow clothes pin for extra embellishment.

Scrapbook Paper Embroidery Hoop Gift Card Holder

Just add a gift card and you have the neatest gift ever!

Comments

1. says

I’ve never thought of using paper for the embroidery hoop before when there are so many scrapbook paper designs possibilities for this! Great idea! Thanks a lot for the inspiration :D

2. says

What a cute idea… I would never have thought to use paper but, it does work beautifully… thank you for sharing your how to… I think a grouping of these would be so cute as art in a craft room… Cathy

3. says

What a lovely idea, and beautifully done. Funnily enough I was looking at my embroidery & appliqué board just the other day thinking that there are a lot of hoops on there and maybe they deserve their own board now! Maybe I’ll have a peek at yours and repin a few more!

4. says

Love the new spin on an old craft! I also really loved the paper collection you used, Its has such fun and quirky prints! I must make something with that glasses print sheet

5. says

What a cute idea! I just recently priced embroidery hoops at a local craft shop and now that I know they’re affordable, would love to make this. Thanks for the great idea, Katie!

6. tina says

Oh this is fun. I to have a passion for paper and make lots of mini scrapbooks. Would love for you to visit my blog when you have a minute. Keep on crafting and Sharing….

Happy Crafting Tina

7. says

This is so stinkin’ cute and I would be so happy to get one of these, even without the gift card just because it’s so adorable! Wait is that a starbucks gc? Okay I guess I would take both :) Thanks for sharing at The Makers! Pinned :)

8. says

You ROCK for linking up this week to Tip Me Tuesday Katie. {high fives} Just a heads up, Tip Junkie can help you index your blog more effectively if you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room! Simply login and click “add a project” on your profile page to get started. {yep I’ve got your back!} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}
    Link ~ http://www.tipjunkie.com/how-to-add-a-craft-room-project-on-tip-junkie

9. says

Being the paper junkie that I am I had to run right over to get a closer look at this. I love that sunglasses paper and how you stitched through the hearts. Visiting via Live,Laugh,Rowe linkup

10. says

What a cute idea! I bought one of these hoops the other day and have been trying to decided what to do with it. Pinning your great instructions. (Found you at the Weekend Re-treat link party.)

11. says

Hi Katie! Umm … every week I want to feature all your AWESOME projects that you link up at DIY Sunday Showcase!! Seriously … I LOVE all your fun ideas! This hoop art is great! Thanks for linking up at the party … see you in a couple days!