DIY Burlap Bunny Bag

DIY Burlap Bunny Bag - The Casual Craftlete

If you have been following me for awhile now, you already know I LOVE my DIY burlap projects.  This little DIY Burlap Bunny Bag is great for Easter!

Growing up my family and I always dressed up every Sunday for Church but on Easter we took it up a notch.  I have pictures of me and my little sister in large white brim hats, frilly gloves and purses to match.  My mom bought my daughter a cute purple dress last year when the stores had their end of the summer sales.  So, I wanted to make a bag to match the dress.  I found this really cute burlap bag in the Easter section at my local craft store and immediately went to work.

Material to make a burlap bunny bag

Material Used:

• Burlap bag
  • Bunny stencil
  • White Yarn
  • Paint
  • Foam paint brush
  • Pom pom maker
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun *not pictured

Step 1:  First I started by measuring the bag to see what size stencil I needed.  Then I downloaded  this bunny template and resized it in Word.   I taped down the stencil just so I wouldn’t move while I paint.  *The bag I used was 9″ x 6″ so I made the stencil 5″ x 5 1/2″.  Make sure to insert a piece paper inside the bag so the paint and hot glue does not go through.

How to make a stencil to use on burlap

Step 2:  Using a foam brush I painted the inside of the stencil using DecoArt paint in Purple Pizzazz.  This purple was one of the colors in my daughter’s dress and it really pops!  Just be careful when painting around the edges of the stencil.  I held it down with my hands just to make sure the paper didn’t move on me.

How to paint on burlap

Step 3:  While my stencil was drying, I made a yarn pom pom for a tail.  I used white yarn and a small pom pom maker.  After the paint was completely dried, I attached the pom pom using a hot glue gun.

How to make and hot glue a pom pom to burlap

Once everything was completely dried, I added a white and purple polka dot bow to the handle of the bag just to make even cuter.

DIY Burlap Bunny Bag #Easter #burlapbag #DIY #craft

I can’t wait until Easter!  This little bag is so precious.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

For more Burlap ideas click here and here and here!

Comments

1. Kelly @ Sew With Kelly says

So stinkin’ darling! I have some red burlap – you’ve given me all sorts of ideas with this one! I run too! Getting excited for a little more decent weather here in WI – done 1/2, but my favorite to train for is a 10 mile. Have a great day!

2. Gaycha says

I have not been able to find the small burlap bag. Where should I look? Just adore this for a child’s egg collecting bag.

3. Sarah@ RufflesandRainBoots.com says

Two things:
    1) this bag is beyond precious! It seemed to be a quick project and a good use of everything. I’m going to look for some burlap bags or just whip up one for my daughter. Absolutely precious.
    2) I adore your blog’s name. Brilliant!
    P.S. I found you via the Tip Me Tuesday (Handmade) on Tip Junkie
    Sarah

4. JaneEllen says

I wouldn’t mind having one of those bags myself, how cute to carry for Spring. Great job, you did the painting so carefully, no runovers. Maybe after Easter you could borrow it from your daughter. Where did you find the burlap bag? So cute and nicely made. Happy Spring days

5. Jill says

Gosh I love this! I usually try and find something useful as the “basket” for our kids. Last year I used sand buckets. I love this idea for my daughter. Make the bag, then it fill it with Easter goodies. Thank for the idea! Pinned and shared.

6. Shannon says

I have had that same idea in my head to do as a wall hanging. I thought a pom-pom tail would be cute.
    This just affirms my idea and I’m making one.

Shannon ~ bohemianjunktion.com

7. Laurie says

This is too cute Katie!

You ROCK for linking up this week to Tip Me Tuesday. {high fives}
    Just a heads up, Tip Junkie can help you index your blog more effectively if you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room!
    Simply login and click “add a project” on your profile page to get started. {yep I’ve got your back!}

~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}
    Link ~ http://www.tipjunkie.com/how-to-add-a-craft-room-project-on-tip-junkie

8. Angie Madura says

I can’t find the burlap bag :( I went to Micheal’s , Joann’s and target. My next stop is Hobby Lobby.
    Where did you get your burlap bag?

9. Emily says

adorable, love the purple!! featured you over at Nap-Time Creations today! Thanks for linking to Create Link Inspire! Come on over and check out all the fun features ;o) Emily

10. Katie Adams says

Thanks for linking to Create Link Inspire at The Crafty Blog Stalker. You have been featured and pinned! Thank you for sharing.
    –Katie, TheCraftyBlogStalker.com

11. Danielle says

Hi there! Thanks for linking up to the Weekend Wind-Down Link Party! This bag is so cute and just in time for EASTER!b JUst wanted you to know that you’re being featured next Friday night at our party! Have a great week!

12. cathy says

I love anything with burlap and this bag is super cute! Pinned! Perfect for Springtime :-) Checking it out from think pink Sunday!
    Cathy

13. Emily says

This is so cute! Love the bunny!

We would love for you to come and link up with us at Your Designs This Time, Mondays 8:00am EST. htttp://www.elizabethjoandesigns.com

14. Aanie says

Hi Katie,

These are simply too cute! You are very creative! :) I have featured you on ‘Do Tell Tuesday’, come and grab your ‘I’ve Been Featured’ button!

Have a wonderful week!

Aanie

15. PinkBlingCrafter says

OMG! this is way too cute and creative, I will have to try and make some for my nieces:) Where did you get the pom pom maker? I would also love to subscribe via email so I don’t miss any future post but I didn’t see the subscribe, did I miss? :)
    Thank you for sharing with us.
    Hugs,
    Norma

• The Casual Craftlete says

Hello Norma! The pom pom maker is by Clover. You can probably find one at your local arts and craft store. I used the small size. I don’t have an email subscription set up yet but I’m working on it. In the mean time you can follow me on my social media accounts. Thanks for stopping by!

16. Alyssa says

This is adorable! I just wanted to let you know that I am linking to this post on 4/3 on Simply Creative Living if you don’t mind.

17. Grace Q says

Im in love with this beautiful burlap bag!!! Im gonna make one from scratch and use it on easter for my lil one.
    Thank you for the inspiration!!!